A collection of articles, videos, podcasts, graphs, news and more about all things related to Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs).
We created Aori because we found a better way to organize AdWords campaigns called SKAGs. What started a few years ago as a niche approach has now become widely accepted among Google Ads managers. To see data-backed cases and get the perspectives from industry leaders, take a look at the following material.
1. 19 Reasons Why Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs) Always Win [2.0] by KlientBoost
KlientBoost wrote up the holy grail on SKAGs. This article went viral when it was posted in 2014 with over 350 comments. It has been updated since to account for changes Google made in 2018. Start here if you want to jump into Single Keyword Ad Groups and learn everything you need to know.
2. I Increased Sales When I Made this One Google AdWords Change by Neil Patel
By now we should all know him. SEO superstar Neil Patel gives his take on SKAGs. Just as detailed as the previous article, he gives an effective overview of how to structure your Google Ad Campaigns using SKAGs.
3.You're Doing AdWords Wrong (Here's How To Make It Right) by Unbounce
This article sprinkles in humor, memes and gifts to make a dry topic like SKAGs come to life. Read this for laughs.
Another general overview of SKAGs, but Holini goes into a bit more detail towards the end about how Alpha/Beta Account Structure can be used to stop your own SKAGs from competing with each other.
5. Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs): The Secret to Paid Search Success? by Disruptive Advertising
Less comprehensive than the previous articles, but still a solid summary. Read this article if you are short on time and just want the basics.
6. How to Use Single Keyword Ad Groups to Increase CTR and Reduce CPC by Instapage
7. How to Transform Your AdWords Performance with SKAGs by iSpionage
8. Use This Google AdWords Hack to Lower Costs and Increase Leads by Entrepreneur
9. How to Implement Single Keyword Ad Groups by MRS Digital
10. 5 Powerful Reasons to Implement Single Keyword Ad Groups Today by Marin Software
11. How to Use Single Keyword Ad Groups in AdWords by ConversionXL
The rest of these articles pretty much summarize what has already been said in the first five articles listed above. But they are shorter and can be used as solid introductions into SKAGs if you are pressed on time.
1. Google AdWords Single Keyword Ad Groups - SKAGs - What? Why? HOW? (2018)
A video version of the more detailed article by Holini cited above. She gives a thorough overview of all things related to SKAGs.
2. Single Keyword Ad Groups - How and When to use SKAGS
This video goes into more detail about how to build a SKAGs campaign, but also importantly, when NOT to use SKAGs. There are drawbacks to using SKAGs and this video lays them out.
3. Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGS) vs Normal Ad Groups - Paid Search Podcast
A great debate between two PPC marketers, one who advocates in favor of SKAGs and another who advocates for the traditional Google Ad setup to structure your campaigns. Watch this video if you want to hear both sides of the story. Then make your own decision.
4. Automated Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs) for Google Ads
Short video laying out SKAGs and offers a free auto SKAG script you can use to help you reduce the amount of time it takes to set up your SKAGs campaign.
5. How to Skyrocket Your Google Adwords ROI
A short video by Neil Patel on how to increase your Google Ads ROI. Guess what his first tip is? Implement SKAGs! He also talks about landing pages and other tips to boost RIO on Google Ads.
1. A Quick Freaking Podcast About SKAGS
A great podcast that goes into both the benefits and drawbacks of SKAGs.
2. Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs) vs Normal Ad Groups in Google AdWords (Great Debate)
A podcast version of the video debate mentioned earlier. The two participants get into a heated argument about which is the best way to structure your ad campaigns, the SKAGs approach or the traditional approach advocated by Google. We'll leave it up to you to decide the winner.
3. The PPC Podcast: SKAGs, Account Structure & Restructures.
A good overview of SKAGs and how to structure your campaigns, just in audio format instead of an article.
SKAGs Graphs, Charts, Infographics and Visuals
This graph shows how the relevance score on your ads affects the cost-per-click and click-through-rates on your ads. Since SKAGs are designed to make your Google Ads as relevant as possible to the search terms people use, this graph is a good illustration for how SKAGs can reduce your CPC and increase your CTR.
This graph shows how Cost Per Conversation decreases as the Quality Score of Google Ads goes up. SKAGs help improve your Quality Score.
This is a good comparison of how to structure your campaigns using the traditional approach advocated by Google and the SKAGs approach.
A timeline of changes Google has made to match types. Whereas before, exact match meant your ad would show up only for the EXACT keywords you chose, they have been expanding the definition of exact match every few years. This graph visualizes those changes, with the latest change coming in 2018.
(Sep 2018) Google expands definition of exact match close variants which has some PPC marketers upset. Could this make SKAGs less effective?
We will continue updating this page as more articles, news and information come out about single keyword adgroup campaigns (SKAGs). We hope to make this your one-stop-shop for all things related to SKAGs.
Make sure to check back every few weeks to see our updates.